Friday, March 18, 2011

When a Prostate Biopsy Result is "Maybe"

Waiting for the results of a prostate biopsy can be very nerve racking.  When I call my patients to tell them the results I often hear the same question:  “Is it good news or bad news?”  Occasionally, my answer is “both.”  I have to give that answer when a prostate biopsy comes back with areas that are described as High Grade Prostatatic Intraepithelial Neoplasia(HGPIN) or Atypical Small Acinar Neoplasia(ASAP).  These areas are NOT considered cancerous but they are not completely normal either.  They are considered precancerous because they demonstrate some characteristics of prostate cancer but not enough to actually call them cancer.

Atypical Small Acinar Neoplasia is the more worrisome of the two lesions.  It can basically be considered an area that looks like cancer but without enough cells there to conclusively say so.  Studies have demonstrated that about 40% of men with ASAP on a prostate biopsy have prostate cancer nearby in the prostate.  As a result, all men with ASAP on a prostate biopsy should undergo a repeat biopsy.  While I know that this does not sound fun, I cannot tell you how important it is to do so.  The repeat biopsy can be done about a month later.  If the subsequent biopsy is negative or demonstrates ASAP again, the patient should be followed more closely with PSA blood tests and rectal exams to be done at more frequent intervals.

The significance of finding HGPIN on a biopsy is much more controversial.  Studies have demonstrated that only about 10-20% of men with HGPIN have associated prostate cancer somewhere within the prostate.  In years past, all men with HGPIN were re-biopsied out of the same concerns as those associated with ASAP.  Then, when studies did not seem to confirm that HGPIN was as much of a risk factor, re-biopsy for patients with the lesion was performed much less frequently.  Recently, however, new studies have determined that HGPIN can be an important predictor of associated prostate cancer if a great deal of it is noted throughout the prostate(multifocal) as opposed to in just one area(unifocal).  As a result, the current recommendation for HGPIN is to re-biopsy patients with multifocal but not unifocal HGPIN.

I hope this letter jumble was not too confusing.  The take home message here is that prostate biopsies do not always come back as “yes” or “no”.  Sometimes we have to accept a “maybe” and try again to make sure that no cancer is present.


Check out my new Book: 

1 comment:

  1. I’d commend using Dr. Utu Herbal Cure topically for instant pain and itch relief as well as accelerated healing of lesions and permanently stopping herpes virus outbreaks. I have tried just about everything from acyclovir suppressive therapy to different natural oils, extracts, and other natural methods, some of which are EXTREMELY painful and exacerbate the problem (i.e. apple cider vinegar!). While vitamin E oil and suppressive therapies worked well for me, when I became pregnant I went back to trying to find a herbal cure. I was using vitamin E oil topically for a while but it was thin and difficult to use and only seemed to prevent further outbreaks rather than getting rid of it. I contacted Dr. Utu Herbal Cure through my friend. To my surprise, I could tell my outbreak was starting to heal within only a few hours! No more itching and pain! Dr. Utu Herbal Cure that I used was liquid herbs in bottles, so it was very easy to use. It simply whiffs, but it works so I don’t care! The best part of my testimony was that I successfully delivered a herpes-free beautiful daughter without further medications. Anyone who has tried Dr. Utu Herbal Cure knows just how quickly those treatments can add up.
    Anyone can reach Dr. Utu through
    drutuherbalcure@gmail.com
    +2349072733661

    ReplyDelete