Thursday, March 8, 2012

Rising PSA After A Negative Prostate Biopsy Part I: Crunching The Numbers

One of the most pleasant phone calls I can make is to tell one of my patients that their prostate biopsy was negative…no cancer.  I can often hear the sigh of relief on the other end of the line after several days of anticipation end in the best possible news.  After allowing the patient to rejoice for a while, however, I proceed to explain that a negative biopsy is not a guarantee of the absence of cancer.  I explain that while a prostate biopsy is undertaken through ultrasound guidance and in a systematic fashion, it is not 100% accurate. After all, a biopsy entails removing 12 tiny slivers of tissue from a gland that can vary in size from that of a walnut to that of a grapefruit.  You can imagine how possible it can be to miss some prostate cancer, particularly in men with very large prostates and small amounts of cancer.  As a result, I counsel these patients that, while the news is great, we still have to be cautious by checking the PSA every 6 months (some urologists advocate yearly tests) as well as performing a rectal exam at the same time intervals.  Most of my patients agree to this follow up protocol.

Unfortunately, at a later point in time, some of these men demonstrate a rise in their PSA.  This leads to a much less festive phone call.  Instead of a sigh of relief, I often hear anxiety and fear.  I also invariably hear the same question: “ Doc, what do we do now?”  This is actually a very important question with a complicated answer.  For some men, it means a repeat biopsy.  For others, in contrast, it means just repeating the PSA again in a few more months.  So how do you determine how to deal with a rising PSA after a negative prostate biopsy?  There are many tools that help urologists to figure out who needs a repeat biopsy in this setting.  In this post, I will cover how a more detailed look at the PSA can help determine whether a PSA rise after a negative biopsy is a sign of missed cancer or simply of benign growth of the prostate.

What Causes the PSA to Rise?

Before delving into the details of PSA rises, lets first explore why the PSA rises in men:

1) Artificial Rises: As I described in a previous post, at least 50% of elevated PSA tests are actually elevated in error.  PSA can be falsely elevated due to sexual intercourse within 2-3 days of the test, urinary tract infections, motorcycle riding, and even lab errors.  As a result, as with a single elevated PSA in new patients, I always recommend a repeat PSA test for those men who demonstrate a rise in PSA after a negative prostate biopsy.

2) Benign Prostatic Hypertrophy (BPH):  PSA is not only produced by prostate cancer cells.  It is also produced by normal prostate cells.  As a result, when benign prostate tissue grows in the form of BPH (the condition that gives you a slow stream and makes you urinate multiple times at night), the PSA naturally rises as a result.

3) Prostate Cancer:  Of course, in some men, a rising PSA is actually a sign of growing prostate cancer.  Most prostate cancer cells produce PSA and as the cells reproduce and grow, more and more PSA is produced.

Dissecting PSA Further

So how do we differentiate among these three potential causes of a rising PSA in a man after a prostate biopsy?  As I just mentioned, artificial rises in PSA can simply be differentiated from the other two through a repeat test after refraining from activities such as sexual intercourse while simultaneously checking a urine culture.  Determining whether a true rise in PSA is due to BPH versus prostate cancer is a much more complicated task after a negative prostate biopsy.  However, this determination can be made by taking a more detailed look at some specific aspects of PSA:

1) PSA Velocity:  Studies have demonstrated that a “normal” rise in PSA can be as high as about 0.7-1 per year.  This rise in PSA can safely be ascribed to BPH.  A yearly rise in PSA higher than this amount is a warning sign that cancer may be present and often triggers a repeat biopsy in men with a previously negative biopsy.

2) PSA Density:  Another aspect of PSA that can be valuable in distinguishing between BPH and prostate cancer is the PSA density.  During a biopsy, the urologist usually obtains an accurate measurement of the prostate volume by means of the ultrasound.  This size is usually described in grams or cubic centimeters (cc).  This measurement can be very helpful in evaluating future PSA elevations after the biopsy by allowing for the determination of the PSA density.  This calculation is carried out by dividing the PSA by the prostate volume.  For example, a man with a PSA of 5 and a prostate volume of 50 grams has a PSA density of 0.1.  Because BPH can also produce PSA, men with very large prostates should be expected to have higher PSA values than men with small prostates.  The PSA density allows you to compare apples to apples by determining the PSA in men per gram of prostate tissue.  Studies demonstrate that a PSA density of greater than 0.15 is suspicious for prostate cancer.

3) PSA Doubling Time: The PSA doubling time appears pretty self explanatory.  The term refers to the time it takes for the PSA to double in value.  To calculate this number you need a few PSA values spread at least 3 months apart.  You also need to use a fairly complex formula to get the exact value.  For our purposes, a rough, eyeball assessment will do just fine.  For example, by looking at a series of PSA values we can roughly estimate if the PSA is doubling every month, every 6 months, or every year, etc... Studies have demonstrated that PSA doubling time is one of the most important prognostic factors used to evaluate a rising PSA after a negative biopsy.  A PSA that doubles in 3-6 months is substantially more worrisome with regards to potential underlying prostate cancer as compared to a PSA that doubles in 1-2 years.

4) Free PSA:  Believe it or not, the PSA test actually represents a combination of two different types of PSA that are found in the blood stream: free and complexed.  While free PSA floats freely through the bloodstream, complexed PSA floats through the bloodstream attached to a specific protein. Why do we care about these two PSA subtypes?  Free and complexed PSA are sort of like good and bad cholesterol.  A higher free PSA is actually associated with a lower prostate cancer risk.  In contrast, a higher complexed PSA is associated with a higher prostate cancer risk.  While there is no great commercially available complexed PSA tests, a free PSA test is available.  The free PSA is reported as a percentage of the overall PSA test.  A I mentioned , the higher the free PSA, the less likely prostate cancer is present.  Studies have demonstrated that a free PSA of greater than 15-18% represents a low risk for prostate cancer as opposed to a free PSA less than 8% which represents a high risk for malignancy of the prostate.  Using such parameters, free PSA can help predict the likelihood of prostate cancer being present in men with a rising after a negative prostate biopsy.

Take Home Message

A rising PSA can be a stressful and worrisome finding in men following a negative prostate biopsy.  In this situation, the PSA needs to be further examined in terms of PSA velocity, doubling time, density as well as free PSA.  These various PSA based tests are used in combination to gauge the risk of prostate cancer in men with a rising PSA after a negative prostate biopsy.  Because prostate biopsies are not without risks, not every PSA rise in men necessitates a repeat biopsy.  Prudent use of these PSA tests can help determine which men with rising PSA after a negative prostate biopsy really need a repeat biopsy and which simply need to be followed with serial PSA tests and digital rectal exams.  In future posts, I will discuss other tests that can help to determine when a PSA rise after prostate biopsy truly indicates the presence of cancer.

Check out my new Book: 

  Prostate Doc’s Guide to Life After Prostatectomy

This blog is not a medical practice and cannot provide specific medical advice. This information should never be used to replace or discount the medical advice you receive from your physician

8 comments:

  1. I have not done any biopsy but I am facing problem with my urinary function like burning in that area, feeling like my bladder is still full just some time after I pee. And I get to know that this is happening because of poor prostate health after reading your several articles from website. I also have read that people experiencing relief from prostate problems in Super Beta Prostate supplement reviews. I have started taking Super Beta Prostate supplement a week before and found a little relief from frequency of urination.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hiv disease for the last 3 years and had pain hard to eat and cough are nightmares,especially the first year At this stage, the immune system is severely weakened, and the risk of contracting opportunistic infections is much greater. However, not everyone with HIV will go on to develop AIDS. The earlier you receive treatment, the better your outcome will be.I started taking ARV to avoid early death but I had faith in God that i would be healed someday.As a Hiv patent we are advise to be taking antiretroviral treatments to reduce our chance of transmitting the virus to others , few weeks ago i came on search on the internet if i could get any information on Hiv treatment with herbal medicine, on my search i saw a testimony of someone who has been healed from Hiv her name was Achima Abelard and other Herpes Virus patent Tasha Moore also giving testimony about this same man,Called Dr Itua Herbal Center.I was moved by the testimony and i contacted him by his Email.drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com We chatted and he send me a bottle of herbal medicine I drank it as he instructed me to.After drinking it he ask me to go for a test that how i ended my suffering life of Hiv patent,I'm cured and free of Arv Pills.I'm forever grateful to him Drituaherbalcenter.Here his contact Number +2348149277967...He assure me he can cure the following disease..Hiv,Cancer,Herpes Virus,Lyme Disease,Epilepsy, ,Bladder Cancer,Colorectal Cancer,Breast Cancer,Kidney Cancer,Leukemia,Lung Cancer,Non Hodgkin Lymphoma,Skin Cancer,Lupus,Uterine Cancer,Prostate Cancer, fibromyalgia ,ALS,Hepatitis,Copd,Parkinson disease.Genetic disease,Fibrodysplasia disease,Fibrodysplasia Ossificans Progressiva,Fluoroquinolone Toxicity Syndrome,Liver/Kidney Inflammatory,Men/Woman infertility, bowel disease ,Huntington's disease ,Diabetes,Fibroid...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am 29 years old and I was diagnosis of Breast cancer, easy well and have a similar story except my first acceptance as a Herbal medicine denials. I wasn’t into the movement Perseid and didn’t establish connections with any of them really, just had faith in believing how they work. I say this because it was during using Dr Itua herbal medicine i now then testify herbal medicine is real, Dr Itua herbal medicine cure my breast cancer I was suffering from for 2 years. Dr Itua herbal medicine is made of natural herbs which has no side effect and is easy to drink as well. Contact Dr Itua herbal Center if you are suffering from the same Breast Cancer or any kind of human Diseases including....HIV/AIDS, HERPES COLORECTAL CANCER, BLADDER CANCER, PROSTATE CANCER, KIDNEY CANCER, LUNG CANCER, SKIN CANCER, UTERINE CANCER, LEUKEMIA, VIRUS, HEPATITIS, WOMEN/MEN INFERTILITY, LOVE SPELL,LOTTERY SPELL. HIS CONTACT EMAIL/WHATSAPP: drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com/+2348149277967

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are helping others to grow their knowledge by sharing such a valuable information very helpful.
    I want to thank you for this informative post. I really appreciate sharing this great post. Keep up your work.
    Genetic assays

    ReplyDelete
  5. I started on COPD Herbal treatment from Ultimate Health Home, the treatment worked incredibly for my lungs condition. I used the herbal treatment for almost 4 months, it reversed my COPD. My severe shortness of breath, dry cough, chest tightness gradually disappeared. Reach Ultimate Health Home via their email at ultimatehealthhome@gmail.com . I can breath much better and It feels comfortable!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very informative, because it compresses most of the information needed and the best solution to Paralysis still remains herbal medicines.
    I became more convinced in herbal medicines because of NZE NJOKU HERBAL HOME.
    I have also contacted Nze Njoku for herbal treatment for my grandfather who had suffered paralysis caused by stroke for eight years.
    My grandfather took herbal medicines from Nze Njoku Herbal Home as he's instructed without any lifestyle change which healed him of paralysis within nine weeks.
    As I write this my grandfather is doing great on his feet and most importantly he has started his business effectively as if nothing happened to him.
    Feel free to contact them on;
    nzenjokuherbalhome@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete

  7. I was diagnosed as HEPATITIS B carrier in 2013 with fibrosis of the
    liver already present. I started on antiviral medications which
    reduced the viral load initially. After a couple of years the virus
    became resistant. I started on HEPATITIS B Herbal treatment from
    ULTIMATE LIFE CLINIC (www.ultimatelifeclinic.com) in March, 2020. Their
    treatment totally reversed the virus. I did another blood test after
    the 6 months long treatment and tested negative to the virus. Amazing
    treatment! This treatment is a breakthrough for all HBV carriers.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I’d recommend using Dr. Utu Herbal Cure topically for instant pain and itch relief as well as accelerated healing of lesions and permanently stopping oral and genital herpes virus outbreaks. I have tried just about everything from acyclovir suppressive therapy to various biological oils, extracts, and other natural methods, some of which are EXTREMELY painful and exacerbate the problem (i.e. apple cider vinegar!). While vitamin E oil and suppressive therapies worked well for me, when I became pregnant I went back to trying to find a herbal cure. I was using vitamin E oil topically for a while but it was thin and difficult to use and only seemed to prevent further outbreaks rather than getting rid of it. I contacted Dr. Utu Herbal Cure through my friend. To my surprise, I could tell my outbreak was starting to heal within only a few hours! No more itching and pain! Dr. Utu Herbal Cure that I used was liquid herbs in bottles, so it was very easy to use. It simply whiffs, but it works so I don’t care! The best part of my testimony was that I successfully delivered a herpes-free beautiful daughter without further medications. Anyone who has tried Dr. Utu Herbal Cure knows just how quickly those treatments can add up. So give it a try! Anyone can reach Dr. Utu through
    drutuherbalcure@gmail.com
    +2349072733661

    ReplyDelete